[ale] Replacing Fan in Power Supply?

Jeff Layton laytonjb at bellsouth.net
Mon May 6 10:31:18 EDT 2002

Geoffrey wrote:

> Jim Philips wrote:
> > You should take out the old fan and carry it with you to the computer store.
> > Any CompUSA will have fans, but the fans they have may not fit onto your CPU.
> > This has been my biggest problem. And even while you have the fan with you,
> > bear in mind how much space you have around the CPU. It's easy to come home
> > with a fan that won't fit into the space you have.
>
> I think we're discussing two different things here.  He says the ps fan,
> which is inside the ps.  I'm not sure I understand why you want to
> replace the fan to start with, as it sounds like it's working, just that
> it blowing warm air, which, generally would be the case.  What you
> should consider is adding a fan or two to the case, rather then
> replacing a working fan.  That is unless, the fan is making some racket
> or is obviously not functioning properly.

I've got a good fan on the front and I've drilled out the hole on the
front panel to get more airflow. The side of the case also has a
grill work down low for more airflow. The CPU has a big Delta fan
on it (loud, but lots of  airflow). I'm going to put a fan for rear exhaust
but I'm still concerned about the PS. It works just great, but I want to
keep it a while so I wanted to put a bigger capacity fan in there.

> Just the same, replacing the fan inside the power supply depends a lot
> on the ps itself.  Many are accessible via a screwdriver and wire
> cutters.  Me, I'd get a new PS before I'd try and replace the fan...

That thought has crossed my mind. I'll have to run it by the management
(aka, my wife).

Thanks!

Jeff