[ale] grub resets machine

jb at sourceillustrated.com jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sun May 5 13:33:23 EDT 2002

Just finished a gentoo install and everything looks great...um...except for
the fact that I can't boot up.  After I select the boot option from the grub
menu, it starts to load the kernel and resets the machine.

The kernel compile went fine, I've installed it and the modules.  Copied
bzImage to /boot/bzImage.  Added the following to /boot/grub/menu.lst:

####
default 0
timeout 15
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm/gz

title=mygentoo
root(hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3
####

The /boot partition is located on /dev/hda1 which is listed first in
/etc/fstab as:

/dev/hda1 /boot ext3 noauto,noatime 1 1

I've set it up through grub by running grub and entering:

root(hd0,0)
setup(hd0)

No errors...

What am I missing?