[ale] X screensaver daemon keeps dying

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu May 2 23:10:30 EDT 2002

Kevin Krumwiede wrote:

> Every day when I come home from work, my X screensaver daemon is dead.
> I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting this one.  Any ideas?

If it has a non-daemon mode, start it that way and
pipe standard error to a file, and check that file
after it crashes. Also, if it produced a core dump,
and it's compiled in debug mode, and you have the
source, you can use gdb to do postmortem debugging.
That will at least give you good information to
send to the maintainer of the code.

Cheers,

-- Joe
    Any OS distinguishable from Windows is not sufficiently broken.