[ale] vhangup()

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu May 2 07:38:48 EDT 2002

Okay guys.  I know that I'm getting ready to throw a high ball in this group but I'm hoping that
someone here may have experiences that can help me solve a coding  (design) issue.

Lateley I have been building my own set of the following programs:

init, inetd, getty, login, sh.

These are almost complete and work great.   My login forks to exec the shell then
it waits till the shells death.  However I'm having problems making sure that the shell is
the only program with control of the tty.   I've read and read the chapters on this in Advanced Programming in
the Unix Environment and I've also read POSIX specifications for this.  I decided to look
at some reference code from sysInit 2.7.8, util-linux-2.11f, and mingeety.  I noticed that every
piece of code uses vhangup() to take control of a tty.  Now I hve converted my code to
support this and it seems to work well.  Ocasionally I may get an EIO error on a tty when trying to
place it in raw mode.  I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the process I'm trying to replicate.  Since
vhangup() is Linux specific can I replicate its functions using only POSIX code?  What does vhangup()
actully do inside the kernel.  I'm using 2.4.17.

Thanks,
Chris