[ale] where to find older boxes

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed May 1 10:02:06 EDT 2002

I'm only recycling this Slashdot story due to the serendipity effect,
but apparently you can get new OS-less PCs through Wal-Mart; see
http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/04/29/0218241.shtml?tid=7.  The poop:
     offerings start at $413 shipped for a 128MB 1GHz Duron or Celeron;
everything works except the Lucent WinModem (although it might if you
really work at it).

In other news, I'm using an AMD K6-2+/500 (CPU off eBay but Socket-7
mobo and case from the old MicroSeconds for $10) to prototype a
thin-client/term-server rig.  This box has Gentoo partially set up, but
I wanted to see LTSP for myself in order to figure out how it worked, so
I last night I put Mandrake 8.1 on an Intergraph all-SCSI dual P/133
with 96MB.  A friend inherited it from a former employer and he gave it
to me.  It came with a 1GB drive and I added a fast-wide 4.2GB drive,
and I have a ~96MB swap partition on each one.  I wish I had a 20MB/s
PCI SCSI controller for the 4.2GB drive but I'm not really sure that it
would help.

- Jeff