[ale] Memory jog needed for remote XTerm and $DISPLAY

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Tue Mar 26 12:03:10 EST 2002

    John> Fletch - Thanks. That works. For some reason I have to
    John> provide the full path to 'xterm' on the remote, but that's
    John> no real problem.

        The remote envrionment probably doesn't have /usr/X11R6/bin
(or wherever your xterm lives) in it.  Your .profile (or another dot
file) probably tweaks the path.  Check /etc/profile or the like.

    John> One refinement would be nice: I seem to be stuck at the
    John> 'ssh' invocation in the shell window from which I started
    John> the shell. Is there a way to 'background' the 'ssh' link and
    John> get that console back for local use (or to close it and
    John> reduce clutter)?

lemur:~ 402> ssh -\? 2>&1 | grep background
  -f          Fork into background after authentication.

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=