[ale] mandrake

Kevin Krumwiede krum at smyrnacable.net
Tue Mar 26 11:02:04 EST 2002

I am too.  I think Mandrake is in a unique position among distros
because of their publisher agreements.  I mean, they get their boxes on
the shelf at Wal-Mart, of all places.  Their reason for rushing the
release was that they had a deadline set months ago by their
publishers.  But they didn't communicate this to contributors until the
last minute.  So 8.2 went out the door with known issues, and more are
being discovered daily.  The GTK+ apps on my system were all complaining
about a missing libxeno.so.  I did my homework on Google and found out
what it is, but not where to get it.  So I asked the Cooker list.
"Heh... I forgot to commit that."  What?!  Their process control sucks!
Because of their visibility and their image as the distro for beginners
they stand to make a big impression.  I'm really afraid they're going to
blow it.