[ale] More on Mozilla/Java

ChangingLINKS.com ChangingLINKS.com at bigfoot.com
Sun Mar 24 23:25:07 EST 2002

I am very glad you all are working on this problem I tried to install the JRE
"for any browser" and  failed thinking I am too "new" to deserve Java plugins
to work.

While I am at it - I am trying to get MuSE to work. (http://muse.seh.de/)
Here are their install directions:
    * download latest source
    * uncompress source:
      bunzip2 muse-x.x.x.tar.bz2
    * untar source:
      tar xvof muse-x.x.x.tar
    * run "qtconfig" from the qt3.0 package, open the tab "Library Path" and
add the path of your installed MusE Sources to the path list; This is
necessary for the Qt gui compiler "uic" to find the MusE specific widget
plugins. Without you will get compilation errors.

Um? So now I am scrambling around the Internet trying to find where to
download Qt3.0 - then I see there are dependencies (last time I tried
resolving dependencies myself the dependencies needed more and more other
dependencies). Now I am going to try Xamian's Red Carpet and HOPE they
automatically will upgrade me to Qt3.

Which brings me to a possible solutions to the Java/Mozilla problem. Why not
try to get the folks at Xamian to make the JRE work with their stuff - and
then newbies like myself can just do that update?

[P.S. I tried to get the Xamian's desktop installed and it claimed that I
already had the up2date running - so it couldn't install. End of story. No
instructions on how to stop up2date from running (I tried the classic M$
reboot and  . . . doh! same problem.]

Drew
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com