[ale] OT: How fast is your connection, and how much do you pay?

Jeff Rose jojerose at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 21 22:27:04 EST 2002

I have Earthlink DSL.  When I download from newsgroups I always get
150k.  When I download form HTTP, it varies according to the site.  I
have lost connection only once in the 3+ months I've had the service.
Customer service is horrible but as a Linux user I'm sure you don't
expect much from them anyways.  Oh yeah after I ordered the service it
took over 2 months for them to ship me a modem.  Once they did, they
sent two.  ???  Once I got the service, I was very pleased.  I pay
$49.95 per month.  Well worth it.  You might look into Speakeasy.net or
Speedfactory.  Speedfactory is local and has gotten rave reviews.  I
don't use nor can I endorse them.  But I know they charge you for the
modem and set up.  It was like $200-$250 for both.  Ouch.  Earthlink
gave me the modem (2) and a free dvd player.  Sweet.  Good luck