[ale] OT: How fast is your connection, and how much do you pay?

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu Mar 21 22:05:14 EST 2002

Up until several days ago, I was paying $50/mo. for DIRECTV DSL. Their
gateway allowed for either a USB or an Ethernet hookup to your desktop, it
only required a DHCP request from the desktop, and the IP address assignment
was static. And 150 KB/sec (or 1.5 Mbps) was typical. And back when it was
known as Telocity, they explicitly pointed out their support for Linux.

Unfortunately, something happened on the way to the DSLAM, and all of a
sudden my gateway wouldn't connect, except late at night when I'd have
extremely intermittent service. BellSouth came out and said their wiring
was all good, but I noticed that they've been messing around with the
neighborhood box lately. I'm thinking that's the problem, but try telling
BellSouth that. Anyway, DIRECTV said they'd rewire my residence, but if it
fixed the problem they'd charge me $150. Being out of a job for the past few
months, I didn't think I could justify it, so I regretfully cancelled my DSL
last Friday.

So now I'm paying $10/mo. for PPP dialup through Hawk Communications. And
either because my modem is pre-V.90 K56flex, or due to the same wiring
problem that affected my DSL, I can only get 28.8 Kbps. Major fsckage.