[ale] advice for intermediate linux'r

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Wed Mar 20 20:39:57 EST 2002

> Backups, alternate booting method in case the primary fails, and security.
>
> As far as the most useful not univerally-known utilities:
>
>      more (or less)
>      grep
>      find
>      tail
>      ci and co
>      dig -x IP
>      telnet some_system some_tcp_port (to test if server listing/working)
>      sed
>      dd (for working with raw devices such as CDs and Floppies
> and over SSH)
>      wc
>      alias phone 'grep -i "\!*" $HOME/phone
>        (Use for a primitive but effective phone/address book)
>      alias t50 "tail -50 /usr/mail/$USER  | more"
>        (Check your most recent new mail)
>      ssh, scp, ftp (of course)
>      gpg (of course)

Okay, I know almost all of those.  Never used ci or co before, nor gpg
(blasphemy! - but I intend to).  I tend to think that you left out "tr" and
"cut".  They're quite useful.

grep, grep -v, tr, cut and a redirection symbol ">" can be quite powerful in
a shell script.

Otherwise, it's gravy.  I'm clueless about awk and [for the most part]
worthless with sed, so I think those will be my new focal points.

> Shove the following into /usr/local/bin/pp and make it mode 755:
>      (/bin/echo \
>      " F    UID   PID  PPID PRI NI SIZE  RSS WCHAN      STAT TTY
>  TIME COMMAND";\
>      /bin/ps axlww|/bin/grep -i $1|/bin/grep -v -w
> 'grep'|/bin/grep -v -w 'pp')\
>      |/bin/more
>
> Then "rehash" if using *csh.
>
> Then "pp netscape" to see if you're running netscape, for example, or
> "pp 1234" to see if PID 1234 still is running.

Uhhh, what?

Thanks for all the tips!
Cheers,
CB