[ale] Choke point (or when to bring on router)

Bao C. Ha baoha at sensoria.com
Wed Mar 20 19:37:03 EST 2002

Hi Jeff,

The Linux kernel seem to have problems pushing packets above
OC-12 ATM/Sonnet speed (622 Mbits/s).  Many people choose to
move over to FreeBSD at this point.  But I think it should be
fixed rather easily.

The PCI bus is spec'ed at 133 MBytes/s.  A 64-bit version of
PCI would increase the bandwidth to twice of that.

My view is still that the backplane bandwidth of the PCI bus
is what limiting us.  For example, the high end Cisco 12000
can push giga and giga of bits.  Its Gigabit Route Processor
is a 200-Mhz R5000 Mips(?) processor.  It does have dedicated
ASICs.  A regular 700-Mhz Celeron would not have any problems
keeping up with it, though.

Bao