[ale] To IDE RAID or not to RAID...

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 18 07:40:15 EST 2002

Eric,

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 01:22, Eric Webb wrote:
> I'm looking to set up a large, protected (ie, some level of RAID) storage
> space and after waiting around for some nonexistent deals on SCSI drives, I'm
> kinda decided to try the IDE route.
>
> Also, note that I am trying to avoid software-based raid configurations (ie,
> letting the kernel do it).

	I don't know *why* you're avoiding software RAID.  That's what I do all
day (e.g. develop our product which uses software RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10).

	If you'll google a search on http://www.google.com/linux for hardware
RAID, you'll find much.  Recently, on the XFS mailing list, a discussion
regarding H/W raid was occured, with most folks who had tried it said to
avoid all of 'em.  They claimed that the kernel did it much better
anyhow.  There's an archive of it somewhere.  See
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/mail.html for a pointer to a searchable
archive.

Danny