[ale] Installing RH 7.2 on an Epox 8KHA+ - Problems

Jeff Layton laytonjb at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 17 17:58:20 EST 2002

   Well things have gone from Bad to Worse. I redid the CPU/heatsink
by clenaing them both, reapplying the grease, and putting them back
into the system. I also put the graphics card and the network card
back in and re-seat the memory (is there such a thing as "re-sat"?).
I put all the connector cable back and the system would power up
but I got nothing on the screen. All I got was the code "FF" on the
motherboard LEDs. The POST section of the manual says that FF is,

Boot Attempt (INT 19h)

   The second thing I tried was to pop the motherboard again, and
redo the nylon washers between the screws and the motherboard
(I'm using metal posts). I got the same result (the case is an Enlight
7237 I think, with a 300 W power supply). Tried a few more tricks
with the washers to make sure I was grounding out the motherboard,
and got the same result (nothing on the screen).
   The third thing was to swap out the graphics card with one that
I know works (I'm using to write this email). Same result. Played
the washer switcheroo, same result.
   Any recommendations at this point? Anybody want to see how
far I can throw this bad boy?
   Does anybody know of any place in the Roswell/Marietta area
where I can take it to get it checked out and maybe put together
correctly and perhaps take a stab at installing RH 7.2? Will Ginstar
or Prime do this?

TIA,

Jeff Layton