[ale] Templates (was: [ale] Need a PHP/MySQL intern...)

jb jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 13 21:18:43 EST 2002

Ok...educate me here please.

I'm not sure I see any real benefit of using templates aside from making
your code look a bit prettier for someone who might be php illiterate or
terrified of non-html source.  Looking at Smarty for an example, it
would seem that all (and forgive me if I'm wrong...this after a cursory
look ;-)) it provides is merely another layer of abstraction on top of
php...function calls that look different from actual function calls but
are still function calls...if/then/elses and loops likewise.

Where's the benefit?  As far as being able to affect all pages on a site
with a single line change, can't you do this by including a general file
that would set a var like $background, or $fontcolor, etc.?  As far as
separating presentation from business logic, can't this be accomplished
by function calls or objects (i.e., have a set of function libs or
classes specifically to handle bus. logic, and have your display code
make calls to these resources)?

Is Zope in someway different?

Someone enlighten me...

Thanks,