[ale] DB's and RAM

Randy Janinda rjaninda at tqlabs.com
Tue Mar 5 00:20:42 EST 2002

A friend and I were playing with MySQL and ramdisks. We simply moved
everything from .../mysql/var/ to a tmp path; created the ramdisk and
mounted in at that directory position then moved everything back.
Rough but quick. After a restart on the DB and a few tests we found it
worked. NOW, does anyone have arguements pro or con for this setup and
can you point me to text that may add or detract from my experiment?
Also keep in mind, I live in a semi-perfect world were the box never
gets shutdown or crashes, so the volatility doesn;t seem to be an
issue.

Just experimenting and sparking discussions.

Thanks,

--
Randy Janinda
rjaninda at tqlabs.com