[ale] bellsouth.net adsl setup

John Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 2 11:42:05 EST 2002

Ian,

Is your modem the external ethernet version?  I use
that with Bellsouth and have had great success with
roaring penguin.

I set it up with adsl-setup and specified in the setup
that I would set the DNS myself.  Then edited the
resolv.conf file, started with adsl-start, and that's
it.

Are you able to see your ppp interface address when
doing an ifconfig?  If so, I would first ping your DNS
entries and then do a few digs against them to see if
you can do lookups.  As far as DNS entries go, I
called BS and asked for static ips.

Warning:  Tell them you run Windows but that you just
prefer to have a static DNS entry.  Be persistent and
firm.  *Don't* tell them you're running linux, as
anything that strays from their bs support script
(that they're stammering through while speaking to
you) seems to have a "deer caught in the headlights"
affect ;-).  At that point, all you'll get is "uh,
well, we don't support linux...".

FWIW, I'm out of the country currently but when I
return home next week I can send you my DNS entries if
you still need them.

John