[ale] Remember When.....

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Jun 28 11:45:06 EDT 2002

Yeah, I know this has probably been proposed before, but I'll bring it up
again since it's Friday: creating a separate subscription list.

True, previous sublists have fizzled out (see: ale-unemployed and
ale-invest). But it does seem that some very significant discussions have
taken place about the symbiotic (?) relationship between technology and
society, and it also seems that they will continue for quite some time.
Unfortunately, they don't quite fit into the unspoken mission statement of
the main ALE list, which I'm assuming is to be a sounding board for issues
directly related to the development, implementation and advocacy of Linux
and open source projects than run on Linux.

So my proposal: create an ale-society mailing list where we can discuss
things pertaining to politics, education, labour market, and such, usually
(but not necessarily limited to) touching at least tangentially on their
relevance to technology. I have a feeling this would last longer than the
two previous lists we've tried to create.

I'm assuming that other off-topic subjects (for-sale/giveaway, help/job
wanted, the occasional petition drive) are still kosher for the main ALE
list as long as they're suitably marked as off-topic.

As for my fave cheese, there is/was a brand of fresh cheese made somewhere
in Europe from goat's milk and braided. Harry's in a Hurry sold it; I don't
know if its replacement Market One still kept it. I used to buy it before
chronic unemployment set in (which, thankfully, is over).

Discuss amongst yourselves. I've gotta run up to Charleston for the weekend.