[ale] HP IIp question

Alan Bowman aminus at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 26 22:47:56 EDT 2002

>My hand-me-down HP LJ-IIp printer has worked fine up until today, and just
>now it came up (or rather refused to come up) with the message "50 NEEDS
>SERVICE". Anyone know if this is a specific code, or what type of service
>is likely needed?

50 Service error is (if I recall correctly) the fuser assembly. I don't
have the manual in front of me, but when our customers call in with this
particular error, we tell them to power the printer off for at least 10
minutes. If the 50 Service error comes up again, we replace the printer.
Given that you've got an HPIIP, which is probably circa 1988, I'd bet
you're going to be replacing the printer.

...alan