[ale] hard drive won't mount

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 20 11:52:34 EDT 2002

Interesting thought. I just converted to 2.4.18 earlier this month. I
may try playing with another kernel. I still have an old boot disk
around. I was able to finally mount the drive using Tom's Root/Boot. I
then mounted my second drive along with it and copied off some critical
files. But even in the midst of that operation, the problem drive was
giving me errors like this:

hda: read_intr: status=0x49 {DriveReady DataRequest Error}
hda: read_intr: status=0x04 {DriveStatusError}

And I was able to run fsck most of the way. The most common error was a
short read on a block. It finally checked all 5.9 million blocks and
then exited with a bus error. At any rate, the hard drive isn't totally
dead. It is doing something, however poorly.