[ale] OT - Entry Level Job Opening

Alan Bowman aminus at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 29 23:23:19 EDT 2002

>So much for a Unix shop.  Must be one of the dumb Unix shops you hear so
>much about.
>
>Chris

I don't recall mentioning it was a Unix shop, only that we needed a
Unix support person.  Of the nearly 38,000 Dental practices that the
company supports, only about 800 use the Unix based software. It's the
legacy product, having been around since 1982. The vast majority of the
practices use either a Windows or Mac based software package.
All together, the company probably sells and supports about 20 different
software products, of which the Unix based product is only one.

 I believe that your "dumb" remark is not a fair one. You don't know me,
or the group of people I work with. You have no knowledge of the type of
work we do, or of our skill levels.  The fact that the website is IE
specific is a valid criticism, but not one I have any control over.  To
say that myself and my coworkers are "dumb" because you can't access the
website is, well, dumb. Had you contacted me directly, I would have been
glad to explain any of this to you. I didn't realize that I would have
to justify the company's website development strategy in a job posting,
especially one that has nothing to do with said website.

 I find it interesting that the last two times I posted job openings for
this exact same job to this list, no one made comments about the
website, or our shop being "dumb". All we got were stacks of resumes.
Can I take this as a sign that the economy is picking up?

...alan
--
Unhappy the land that needs heroes.
                -- Bertolt Brecht