[ale] Please help: BellSouth ADSL hangs with sendmail andup2date

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jul 27 22:44:45 EDT 2002

Bellsouth can be a pain when trying to diagnose problems.

1. Make sure you are running up2date from command line. So you need to
use:

up2date -v --nox

The -v will give more verbose output. --nox will run CLI only.

Read the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/* files. They tell info about which servers
you are using. Up2date uses http (port 80) protocols.

You may be just unlucky and have a flaky connection (Bellsouth) that is
loosing the "connection busy. try later" reply to your up2date
connection request.

Or you may have a broken up2date binary. Download and rpm -Uvh from the
GaTech site. Be sure to get up2date from the redhat/linux/update area.

If that croaks, it's time for some more detailed info. Put a hub between
the modem and ethernet card on your connection box. Put a second box on
the hub. Don't use a switch. Use tcpdump and related friends to grab the
traffic when you run up2date. Post what the tcpdump shows. Don't bother
to try and ping to the up2date servers you find in
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date, ping is blocked on those servers.