[ale] OT: 2.4 ghz phones and WiFi lans

Matt Smith msmith at risklabs.com
Fri Jul 26 14:18:01 EDT 2002

Anecdotal evidence says that there is the potential for problems, and some
have said to have returned phones because of it.

I recently purchased a Panasonic multi-phone system which is working very
well.  I did some testing with my WiFi cards to see if I could intentionally
create interference, and all I got was a slight "tick" in the signal
intermittently.  I couldn't make the phone unusable, or even make it sound
like serious interference.  The tick was only there when the phone and
wireless card were in close proximity.  You probably would be best to not
put your 2.4GHz phone base right next to your access point..

My guess as to why they coexist OK is the difference between the two choices
of spread spectrum techniques.  One is Frequency Hopping, and the other is
direct sequence.  I can't remember which is which at the moment.  I think
the WiFi is direct sequence, so you might want to make sure your phone is
Freq. hopping.

--Matt