[ale] Re: [OT] Enough of the OT Crap!!

SanMillan, Todd tis3 at cdc.gov
Thu Jul 25 15:34:23 EDT 2002

   I'm sure everybody has their own reasons, many of which Chris already
mentioned in his response (graduated school, got married, moved, etc.)  My
personal reasons are mainly that I was very active when I first discovered
Linux, with stuff like "how do I get X to come up", "how do I get this
fsck'ing network card to work", etc.  As I have learned the basics and
learned where to go for answers (oh, that's how man -k works!) and as Linux
has gotten so much more user-friendly, I don't need as much hand holding.
And as I am not on the bleeding edge, I don't have the answers to even some
of the basic questions anymore (I know how to use rpm, but not what o do if
anything goes wrong, stuff like that), so I don't have much to offer to give
back anymore.  And my job does not involve Linux, so I am not learning that
much new.
   Actually, thinking about it, the main reason is the quality of experts
that the ALE list has attracted.  I used to feel competent to answer
questions on routing, security,  and MS networking, but with people like
Mike Warfield, Bob Toxen, Jonathan Rickman, Bao Ha, Geoffrey, James Kinney,
Jim Philips and others I'm sure I am forgetting right now, answering with
great answers, I don't feel like my guessing around in the dark is all that
helpful anymore.
   So, I still read most every post, I just don't have the energy to try to
be the one with  the 0-day correct answer like I used to :)