[ale] Q: how do I start NFS exports at boot in RH-7.*

Amarendra Godbole (Intl Vendor) v-amarg at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 25 13:55:35 EDT 2002

>     John> ALErs - I have set up a NFS-exported directory. It works
>     John> fine when I manually run '/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs start', but
>     John> doesn't get started at boot. I could put that line in
>     John> '/etc/rc.d/rc.local', but is there a more 'RedHatish' way to
>     John> start this service off, and stop it automagically at
>     John> shutdown?

Do the following:

cd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/
mv K20nfs S20nfs

rc3.d is the directory which contains symlinks to the scripts that will
be started when the machine boots into runlevel 3. In this directory,
you will find many files starting with K or S followed by a number
followed by the service name. All those services whose file names start
with K won't be started when the machine boots, while those with S will
be started when the machine boots. So, just move the file which has
`nfs' in its name (see above). The next reboot will start all the NFS
daemons.

Okay, here I assume that you boot into run level 3. :)

Cheers,
--amar

--
Amarendra A. Godbole / Microsoft ``Services For UNIX'' / These opinions
are _MINE_.