[ale] dsl

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Tue Jul 23 00:28:05 EDT 2002

DirecTV/Bellsouth DSL required the filters.  If you didn't have them on
the phones, there was a distortion that you could hear in the dialtone
and when you pressed the keys.  In fact, with the distortion, the phone
switch couldn't detect the DTMF (sp?) tones.

One of the other DSL ISPs (Speakeasy?) that I spoke with apparently did
filtering at the street and used a different copper pair to go into the
house.

- Jeff