[ale] find -exec

Kevin Krumwiede krum at smyrnacable.net
Thu Jul 18 15:04:12 EDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-07-14 at 18:28, Geoffrey wrote:
> I've not used the -exec in a long while, rather try:
>
> find . / -name '*.m3u -print |xargs cat

Trouble is, some of the filenames contain spaces.  Using find -exec
works with a simple command like cat, but what I really want to do with
the files is much more complicated.

I ended up writing a little script and using it as the argument to
-exec.  Problem solved, but now I have to know if there's more elegant
solution. :)

I can't figure out the syntax for running multiple commands with -exec.
For example, find won't handle this:

$ find ./ -name '*.m3u' -exec cat {} | grep foo \;

(Yes, grep foo {} would accomplish the same thing... couldn't think of a
better example.)

You can use more than one -exec statement, but that doesn't do you any
good if you want to pipe output between commands.

Thanks,
Krum