[ale] vnc ports?

Chris Coleman chriscoleman at mail.clayton.edu
Tue Jul 16 17:03:19 EDT 2002

>From the VNC FAQ: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/faq.html#q53

Q53 Which TCP/IP ports does VNC use?
A VNC server listens on two ports. The exact port numbers depend on the VNC display number, because a single machine may run multiple servers. The most important one is 59xx, where xx is the display number. The VNC protocol itself runs over this port. So for most PC servers, the port will be 5900, because they use display 0 by default.

In addition, VNC servers normally have a small and very restricted web server built in, which allows you to connect a browser to them and use the Java viewer. This runs on port 58xx. Note that this is the HTTP port used for downloading pages and applets, but once the applet is running it uses 59xx for VNC just like any other viewer.

The servers can be changed to listen on other ports if, for any reason, these are not suitable for you. See the server's documentation for more details. Most of the viewers, if given a display number larger than 99, will interpret it as a direct port number and will not add 5900. See also the next question.

If you are running a viewer in 'listening' mode, where it accepts connections initiated by the server, it will listen for incoming VNC on port 5500

Chris Coleman,
Instructor
School of Technology
Clayton College and State University