[ale] Kernel

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jul 16 14:13:25 EDT 2002

Joseph A Knapka wrote:
> tom hawks wrote:
>
>>When doing a make xconfig and the statement no makefile found, what
>>would be the cause of this?
>>

> You are running make in the wrong directory. Be sure you
> are in the top-level directory of your linux source
> tree; typically that would be /usr/src/linux.

I think this can also be caused by not following the build instructions
in /usr/src/linux/README.  You need to do the following (minimally):

make mrproper
make xconfig | make menuconfig | make oldconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

There's also a make install for the kernel, but I never use it.  Check
the above README file for more specifics.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net