[ale] DNS Server Config for Two Domain Names?

Matt Smith msmith at risklabs.com
Tue Jul 16 10:23:37 EDT 2002

If in the zone file, you use @ at the top, rather than a domain name, you
can reference the zone file twice in your named.conf file for two different
domains and the two domains will be identical.

Here's an example (Private IP's used):

Named.conf snippet.

zone "ryan.com" in {
        type master;
        file "myhosts";
};

zone "neily.com" in {
        type master;
        file "myhosts";
};

---------------------------------------
Here's what myhosts needs to look like:

$TTL 3600
@            IN   SOA     dns  mailhost. (
                          2001071901            ; Serial
                          10800                 ; Refresh
                          1800                  ; Retry
                          3600000               ; Expire
                          259200 )              ; Minimum

                        MX      10 10.1.1.1
                        NS      10.1.1.1
                        A       10.1.1.1

www                     A       10.1.1.1
mail                    A       10.1.1.1
localhost    IN   A       127.1 ; note that 127.1 is the same as 127.0.0.1;
see inet(3n)

That should work.  Now you'll have www, mail, etc for both domains...  I may
have a syntax error somewhere, but I'm sure bind will tell you where. :)

--Matt