[ale] OT: Is speed reading a pile of ...

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 14 16:28:35 EDT 2002

[BTW, this is IMO a nice off-topic discussion for a Sunday;
does anyone feel a strong need to push this over to the
OT list?]

"David S. Jackson" wrote:

[snip]

> But the course could still be of value to you if you read a lot of
> technical stuff.  Just becomming aware of what your mind is doing when
> you read the different types of material could be enormously beneficial
> to you.  Learning how *you* comprehend stuff (of different types) could
> help you a lot.  In these courses you do a lot of reading and a lot of
> testing for comprehension.  The hardest part is *believing* that you're
> actually getting what's written when you don't have you're subvocalized
> voice that isn't there anymore.

I understand this completely. When I read, I don't feel like
I've -really- read a word until my little inner voice "reads"
it to me, even though I can feel a sort of subliminal "soup"
of meaning swirling around under the surface.

I guess if one could learn to perceive words in the same way
one perceives, say, restaurant signs, one would be well
on the way to speed-reading. When you see a neon sign with a
bell on it, you don't have to wait for your little inner
voice to say "Taco Bell" before you understand that that
sign represents a source of half-decent Americanized-mex
"cuisine".

Cheers,

-- Joe