[ale] Free X Server for Win2k

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Sat Jul 13 10:19:10 EDT 2002

Stephen -

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Stephen Turner wrote:

> well if vnc is slow, is there something faster?

The weak and slow link is the network connection. Even though VNC
developers have given thought to an efficient protocol, it is always going
to be slower than the X11 protocol which it must wrap and extend. It also
adds traffic like mouse activity to the link, which otherwise stays on
your workstation (part of 'extend'); missing mouse actions is an easy way
to confuse the Xserver which VNC is running on the remote host, at the
other end of whatever net connection you have.

That is why I said it's better to run a local Xserver, e.g. XFree86 over
Cygwin, or use 'ssh -X' back to your Linux workstation. Either way you may
want to choose the window manager which is actually used. Myself, I draw
the line somewhere above the default 'twm'!

If you are in a position to 'throw money at it', there are excellent,
expen$ive commercial products available. I found 'Hummingbird's 'Exceed'
full-featured and clean. There are others as Google will tell you, but
most of the free ones seem to have major problems.

 - John Mills