[ale] Good cheap tape drive? (was Re: [ale] Full filesystembackup to CD-R)

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Thu Jul 11 23:06:02 EDT 2002

I got a Seagate Hornet drive (uses the 10/20GB Travan tapes - I think
TR-5) on SCSI.  It appears to work fine with all the mt and tar
commands.  One thing I find annoying is that premature end-of-tape
conditions is unclean and I don't think that hardware compression works
(you can, of course, use a z in your tar option but I understand that
that can wreak havoc if your tape gets corrupted).  I think the drive
cost about $200 and the media costs about $70.

Unless something else has supplanted it, DLT has been the "serious" way
to go for some time.  I understand that it's a lot faster than Travan
are any helical-scan business like DAT.

- Jeff