[ale] routing port forwarding issues - help!

Gary MacKay gary at edisoninfo.com
Thu Jul 11 09:43:31 EDT 2002

I have several email servers running qmail at various clients and can
not send messages to certain domains. Most email works just fine, but I
am seeing a growing number of domains that I can not send to.

I do not think my problems are related to qmail tho. I think it is more
of a routing, firewall, etc. type issue. Reason is I can not even telnet
to the IP addr on port 25 of the domains that are failing. I'm not sure
how the firewall fits into the picture either since they are different
at each site (ie. Netopia, Linksys, and OpenBSD). Obviously they are all
doing NAT and port forwarding to/from the email server inside. Very
typical/standard setup I'm sure.

At first I thought it had to do with the ISP, since all of the ones with
problems, use the same ISP. That is the only common factor I could find.
Then I discovered yesterday that I could telnet just fine from other
machines on the network, just not the email server. Windows, Linux,
etc,. Did not matter. Very weird. I checked this at the other client
sites, and sure enough, it works from any machine other than the mail
server. What am I missing here?

TIA,
- Gary