[ale] OT - DSL

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jul 10 12:28:51 EDT 2002

Charles Marcus wrote:
> I have to agree about Bellsouth DSL.  I hate Bellsouth, but have to
> recommend to anyone who asks to get their DSL direct from Bellsouth - mainly
> because Bellsouth's 'we don't give a shit' attitude is *much* worse if you
> buy your DSL through someone else who must then use Bellsouths copper.

Sure, buy into the next monopoly.  Again, you can't get DSL from
Bellsouth without dhcp and pppoe.  Even with static IP.  I've tried it.
  That is, unless somethings changed in the last 6 months.

The last time I tried, I was told the following:

1. You can only get static ip on a business line.
2. it will still use dhcp and pppoe
3. static ip using dhcp/pppoe on a business line costs more.
4. a business line costs more.

So I was looking at taking an existing phone line, using it no
differently then I currently do and paying more for it.  Also, paying
more for dsl because of the static ip, like double.

I say screw BellSouth.  They're my last choice for anything.  Full
discloser: I work for AT&T, the has been monopoly.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net