[ale] USB over cat-5?

Kilroy, Chris Chris.Kilroy at turner.com
Wed Jul 10 09:43:45 EDT 2002

i seriously doubt there is anyway you can splice a USB cable with CAT-5.

i think there may be small hubs out there that would connect to your machine's USB port that has 4-5 Ethernet jacks on it.  I may be wrong though, but i'd look for something from Linksys, they tend to be affordable :)

->Ok. You pulled it out of me.  The "why?" is to avoid spending an extra
->$100 getting a Zaurus ethernet card.  If the Z is in its USB
->cradle, you
->can surf the web, etc. using ethernet over USB.
->
->So I'm cheap.  Sue me ;-).  When you buy one of these awesome little
->machines, the extras really start to stack up ;-).
->
->
->John
->
->
->
->Keith Hopkins said:
->> John Wells wrote:
->>> Let me preface this by saying that I have *no* knowledge of the
->>> internal workings of USB at this time (wiring, etc.), which may be
->>> evident from my question.
->>>
->>> I'm wondering if it would be possible to splice a usb cable with a
->>> cat-5 cable?  Why, you ask?  Because I have cat-5 running
->through my
->>> wall, and would like to connect to my machine upstairs
->over this cable
->>> using USB.
->>>
->>> Probably impossible, but interesting nontheless.
->>>
->>
->> I have no idea, but I'd look into distance constraints.
->>
->> Unless the answer should simpley turn out to be "why not",
->then I must
->> endevor to ask "why?", when you can run perfectly good 100M lan over
->> cat-5.
->>
->> --
->> Lost in Tokyo,
->>    Keith
->
->
->
->
->---
->This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.