[ale] encryption/obfuscation (Was: No, wait- Leonard ...)

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed Jul 10 01:17:00 EDT 2002

Brian -

In this case, you'd have a legal .JPG file that looked like a real image
of something but, if you executed it as though it were an executable
program :-/ bad stuff would happen.  I'm not quite sure how you'd go
about doing that, but, since it's possible to stick executable code into
buffers so as to overflow them and get the code to execute, there may
well be a way.  I haven't tried hex-editing a .JPG file or a Linux
executable before, so I'm kinda just handwaving if y'all'll excuse me.