[ale] A nation of the immigrants, by the immigrants, for theimmigrants

mainwizard at vei.net mainwizard at vei.net
Tue Jul 9 13:30:24 EDT 2002

Don't want to sound cruel, but that's the way it's supposed to work.

The H1b is a 'temporary' visa to allow a non-immigrant to fill a position when no US citizen or immigrant is available. If the job market dries up, as it has, companies will no longer need an H1b to fill the position because there will be a cit/immi available.

The H1b's are then supposed to go back home (country of origin). The problem created was that the H1b was abused and was presented as a way to get citizenship without going through the normal INS channels. After the jobs dried up, the H1b's didn't (don't?) want to go back and lose what they have gained working here.

I sympathize, but have more sympathy for the non-H1b's who are currently out of work. I was one for 7 months. If a company is hiring, they are supposed to hire the cit/immi first and only the H1b if there is no other choice. That is why it is harder for the H1b, it is supposed to be.
Ed.