[ale] Why so many updates to RedHat?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:56:05 EDT 2002

On 9 Jul 2002, Michael Hirsch wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 11:15, Fulton Green wrote:
> > How are you updating them? ftp://updates.RedHat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/ only has
> > fifty or so updated packages. OTOH, RH did release a new beta, and some of
> > those packages might have spilled over into the RHN update service offering.
>
> I've tried it two ways.  First, with apt-get.  I point to a mirror of
> the redhat update server that has been configured to serve apt-get.  It
> reports the actual number of updates.  I figured that there must be some
> mistake, so I tried up2date and it also indicated a lot of updates--way
> more than I expected since I think my machine was pretty up to date 2
> weeks ago.

Look at http://www.redhat.com/errata to double-check, but most of those
packages below have NOT been errata'ed for 7.3.  Either you've hit an
apt-get repository that has non-standard packages; or you've hit the beta
up2date, not the 7.3 up2date; or your box is running 7.2, not 7.3; or your
rpm db / up2date db is corrupt; or something similar.

later,
chris