[ale] H1B -- What To Do

Bob Evans bobevans19 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 09:44:07 EDT 2002

You might want to send this to your friends.

The Good News about H-1B? You Can Fight Back

What to Do

1. Send in your petition to abolish the H1-B visa.
http://www.zazona.com/h1bpetition/P/petition.html

2. Be a pest. Call your congressmen. They don't know
how you feel unless you tell them. Use these links to
find your representatives' contact information.
http://www.house.gov/htbin/wrep_findrep

http://www.senate.gov/

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/

Call your congressmen and ask to speak to someone to
express an opinion. Tell them what happened with your
job or your friend's job, or that you got your tech
education and can't find a job in the field, and how
angry you are that our government enacted laws that
favor business and foreign workers over American
citizens. Tell them how you feel. Say whatever you
want to say, but let them hear from you. The more of
these calls you make, the easier they get, and the
more the congressmen notice
there's something going on out there.

3. Email your congressmen. And send them faxes.
Consider faxing or mailing your congressmen, the White
House, The Secretary of Labor and the Secretary of
Commerce weekly with an educational letter. This only
has to be a few lines of letter bites. "Letter bites"
are short anecdotes or quotes from news articles or
from information you find on the H-1B Hall of Fame
site. Snail mail works if they read it. I've had at
least one snail mail
mistakenly shredded, so I've taken to sending faxes.
It does help to contact these
people. I've had them call me back to discuss the
issues. If they hear from
enough of you, they will start to worry about losing
votes.

Example of educational info taken from H-1B Hall of
Shame website and mailed to
my congressmen and the White House within the context
of a letter I wrote
outlining my own situation:

The United States Department of Labor Office of
Inspector General (OIG) admitted in the year 2000 that
the fraud and abuse continues. This is after a major
report in 1996 outlined numerous instances of fraud.
Nothing has improved:

The OIG continues to identify fraud in the labor
certification program, particularly in the H-1B
temporary work visa program. A year-long joint INS and
Department of State initiative found that 45 percent
of the 3,247 work experience claims made to the INS
were fraudulent.

4. Contact Congressmen such as Representative Tom
Tancredo of Colorado who wants to sponsor a bill
abolishing the H1-B visa. Tell him what happened to
your job. Tell him about any other job losses you know
about due to H1-B or about your difficulties finding a
job. If you want to send
a fax to his
office: 202-226-4623. This would be especially
valuable because if Rep. Tancredo hears from a number
of you, he will have ammunition to present his bill.
Thank him for his stance against H1-B

5. Call, write or email the White House, the US
Department of Labor and the US Department of Commerce.
Explain what happened to your job.

President George W. Bush

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW

Washington, DC 20500

Comments: 202-456-1111

Fax: 202-456-2461

Email: president at whitehouse.gov

vice.president at whitehouse.gov

Elaine Chao

Secretary of Labor

U.S. Dept. of Labor

200 Constitution Ave., NW

Washington, DC 20210

Phone: 202-693-6000

Donald L. Evans

Secretary of Commerce

Email: devans at doc.gov

Phone: 202-482-2000

6. Get on Dr. Matloff's H1-B list or the H-1B email
newsletter. They will send you links to new articles
on H1-B, high tech job losses, etc. Read the articles
and then respond by email to the papers and magazines
that print the articles. Letters to papers and
magazines are very effective in getting our story out
there.

http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/itaa.real.html
(Dr. Matloff's site)

7. Any time you see an article by a congressman from
any state where the congressman supports worker's
rights, contact them and thank them and tell them your
story.

8. Join the programmers guild.
http://www.colosseumbuilders.com/american.htm
(Programmers Guild)

9. If you want to fax a petition to abolish H1-B go to

http://www.numbersusa.org/index has
free faxes on matters of interest to all American
workers, such as extending unemployment benefits and
fighting H-1B.

10. Ask your family and friends to join you in
supporting our efforts to get Congress to treat us
fairly.

11. If you can, make donations to the organizations
that run the
sites you use to fight H-1B.

Remember, if you don't protest now, things will get
much worse. And you will have only yourself to blame.
Information prepared by
Linda Evans (writer and wife of programmer replaced by
H-1B's). Contact me at
linda19 at linuxmail.org
The above methods are working. I've had letters
published in papers all over
the country and an op-ed published locally. I've
gotten calls from congressmen's
offices and from reporters. We have to get the word
out. I hope you will join
our fight - the job you save may be your own or that
of your children.

=====
Bob Evans                            http://carolinux.com
bobevans19 at yahoo.com                 Providing economical
704 882-6214 (w)                     computer solutions
704 562-7166 (m)                     to the Carolinas...