[ale] Apache Security Question

Prasanna Subash subash at skyline.external.hp.com
Mon Jul 8 16:19:33 EDT 2002

Hi all,

	I run apache at home on my mdk-8.2 box. This is the small security problem
that I have.

Each user has his webpage at

/home/USERNAME/web/

and I use NameVirtualHost directives to get to the directory for different
users.

However since Apache( httpd ) runs as nobody:nobody its not able to read those
directories and I get a permission denied.

My solution was to chmod 777 /home/USERNAME and
chmod -r 777 /home/USERNAME/web

But this solution is inelegant as each user can see each others files by just
changing directories. .htaccess files have no meaning at this point between
users on the same box.

How can I solve this ?

Prasanna Subash            |
Linux, the choice          | Noone ever built a statue to a critic.
of a GNU generation   -o)  |
Kernel 2.5.18          /\  |
on a i686             _\_v |