[ale] Limbo

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Mon Jul 8 15:56:16 EDT 2002

The consensus on /. was that since Red Hat is now designating version 3.1 as
the default GCC in the beta, thereby potentially breaking apps compiled with
version 2.96, this would warrant a "dot-oh" release. I think this was
roughly the rationale behind the jump from 6.2 to 7.0. It definitely was NOT
the then-new 2.4 kernel, as 7.0 still installed 2.2 by default (though a
manually-installable 2.4 "technology preview" was provided in that distro).