[ale] playing DVD on 7.3

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Sat Jul 6 21:03:43 EDT 2002

I guess that is why I was asking for specific directions. I tried:

[root at change local]# tar xvzf xine-dvdnav-0.9.9.tar.gz
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
[root at change local]#

You know, I had a distinct feeling that even IF that command worked, (which I
couldn't find exact directions on the web site you referred) that I would
have symbolic link problems. How would Xine _know_ that the dvdnav was in my
usr/local directory. How can I use that command to extract it to into the
/usr/bin/xine/plugins directory (my best guess as to where it would go)?
I am soooooo lost. Is there anyone that actually HAS 7.3 running that got DVD
to play using 5 or less commands using 2-5 files?

<rant>
I am still a newbie. I feel like I know NOTHING after moving to 7.3. Moreover,
I have yet to find someone who can help me with simple encryption for a
directory tree in Linux. Today, as I have just a little liquor in my system I
am reminded of the instability (and yet ease) of Windows. How can Linux be
more secure (in general) if I have such a TOUGH time finding someone who
knows (and has the 30 minutes) to help me encrypt valuable data?
I HATE Windows. The sh*t doesn't _run_ - but it seems like I need help
relearning Linux everytime there is a .1 upgrade. Is there no happy medium?
Anyone tried Lindows? I don't mind putting the "L" on my forehead to get some
easy functionality. Learning and admining Linux is _not_ my career or college
course - I would rather be fluent in spelling F#13's.
</rant>

On Saturday 06 July 2002 16:15, Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> Redhat doesn't ship with the dvdnav plugin, you have to add it manually.
>
> http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-dvdnav.shtml
>
> Calvin...
>

> On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 12:21:44 -0400 "ChangingLINKS.com"
> <x3 at ChangingLINKS.com> wrote:
>
> ale,07-06-02 1212
> I have upgraded to 7.3 which has Xine already installed in it by default.
> Unfortunately, when I try to play DVDs, Xine says that it cannot play the
> encrypted DVD. When I try to install Ogle just like I would with RedHat 7.2
> it does not work. When I try to install Xine like I would with 7.2, it does
> not work.
> Can someone give me exact diretions to get DVDs to play with RedHat 7.3.

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com