[ale] C programming tips

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 3 08:17:49 EDT 2002

Randy,

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 18:11, Randy Janinda wrote:
> I've finally taken the time to learn C (atleast the basics). I have
> written a few small utilities and my first C socket code (woo hooo!).
> I now need some resources to help me get a handle on string matching.
> I come from Perl, where regex's rock and am looking for the some C
> equivalents to matching words, patterns, etc. So far I've found
> regcomp() and regexec() but no useful examples on how to use them.
> Anyone have pointyers or resources they would like to share?

	The Linux Gazette has a short tutorial, with example code.  See

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue55/tindale.html for the article.

	Allow me to also offer "The Elements of Programming Style" by Kernighan
and Plauger.  Sometimes you can find it on the shelf of Borders and
B&N.  It's old, but still has EXCELLENT examples, along with their
"rules of programming".  Even though the examples are all FORTRAN and
PL/1, the ideas expressed are applicable to today's languages.

	Even Perl.

	/me ducks and runs for cover.

Danny