[ale] C programming tips

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 2 19:01:37 EDT 2002

Ladies and gentleman, welcome to the Bi-Monthly ALE
Language Showdown! Today's contest is shaping up to
be quite a knock-down-drag-out, with our old friends
C and Perl ready at the starting gates, and latecomer
C++ getting ready to go in the pit area! (We expect
Tcl, Python, possibly assembly, and perhaps some
even more esoteric and generally weird contestants to
show up in the later stages of this match! Whatever
you do, *DON'T LEAVE YOUR SEAT* until the final flag
goes down!)

And they're off!!! C and C++ take an early lead, but as they
go into the Massive File Filtering labyrinth, Perl begins
to narrow the gap! What's this? Oh my god, the customer
has changed the requirements! C pulls into the pit
area and a huge gang of code monkeys are bolting
various new bits and pieces onto the code! And look,
the Perl pit crew is just one guy, but he's scratching
his head... looks like he can't figure out what the
program was doing to begin with! The C++ pit crew has
just reimplemented a single abstract interface,
and they're about to send their code out the door!
Oh no, the C++ linker has refused to resolve some
template references! Looks like the C++ guys are
going to be at this for a while...

OK, C is back on the track, clacking along with quite
a bit of new code stuck on... But it's into the wall
with a segmentation violation! The code monkeys are
out on the track trying to rescue their vehicle,
and Perl is now back on the track plowing them down...
the Perl pit crew threw away the old code and implemented
the new requirements from scratch!!! Is this legal?
Watch for further developments, folks...

<anyone want to pick this up and run with it?>

cfowler wrote:

> How many more cycles and memory is wasted on that?
>
> C is easy.

> >     Randy> Hello everyone, I've finally taken the time to learn C
> >     Randy> (atleast the basics). I have written a few small utilities
> >     Randy> and my first C socket code (woo hooo!).  I now need some
> >     Randy> resources to help me get a handle on string matching.  I
> >     Randy> come from Perl, where regex's rock and am looking for the
> >     Randy> some C equivalents to matching words, patterns, etc. So far
> >     Randy> I've found regcomp() and regexec() but no useful examples
> >     Randy> on how to use them.  Anyone have pointyers or resources
> >     Randy> they would like to share?
> >
> >         Don't bother with C. :)
> >

> >         Half serious there, but with Inline::C you can use perl for
> > all of the stuff that's easy in perl and easily incorporate C chunks
> > where it's necessary (raw speed bit twiddling, talking to hardware,
> > linking to other libraries).  I'll take
> >

> >     use IO::Socket::INET ();
> >     my $sock = IO::Socket::INET->new( PeerAddress => 'foo.bar.com',
> >                                       PeerPort    => 80, );
> >

> >         over the 20-30 lines of C necessary to accomplish the same
> > thing any day.
> >

> > --
> > Fletch                | "If you find my answers frightening,       __`'/|
> > fletch at phydeaux.org   |  Vincent, you should cease askin'          \ o.O'
> > 770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=
> > 770 294-0820 (m)      |                                               U
> >
> > ---
> > sent to listmaster at ale dot org.
> >

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

--
   "Thanks to Microsoft, I am now blind in both eyes. They have
    rolled back in my head so many times this week that they