[ale] General Question on managing Orcad design archives

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Mon Jul 1 16:30:45 EDT 2002

Hi Christopher -

Thanks for the reply.

On 1 Jul 2002, cfowler wrote:

> cvs add -vb on those binaries or they may be damaged.  I've been screwed
> before.

Yes - actually I was going to add them to 'cvswrappers' before starting to
play.

> > Naturally I would not expect a 'merge' operation to give sensible results
> > (either as to adding two workers' changes or of identifying conflicts), if
> > these are truly binary files.
>
> There is no merge operation.  It will just add and add.  In effect
> you'll have a full version of each .DSN revision.

And (I suppose) stuck together with some recognizable 'glue' grammar that
allow CVS to extract an older version?

> Can you tell me about Orcad?  Is it OpenSource? I've been looking for an
> OS board layout program.

I don't know much about it, as I'm not a user, but basically it is a
commercial product, not open source. I cruised the vendor's web archive,
but found no notes nor user comments about archives nor configuration
management. Phrostie is the one with an extensive list of open-source and
Linux engineering resources. Perhaps he will leap in here with a 'FYI.'

> CVS will not run in Windows in server mode.  You can use a cvs server on
> Linux and use a Windoze CVS client.  This will probably be your best
> bet.

I run the pserver on a Linux box and it properly handles clients on
either MsWin or Linux boxen.

Ironically there is a Win32 CVS _server_ that's supposed to work (I forget
the name - hit 'wincvs.org' and you'll find it), and it's supposed to
serve _Linux_ clients properly, BUT the _Win32_ GUI client to which it
will work (WinCvs-1.3x) is not yet offered as stable. I really _don't_
need a bunch of Win32 users going f*ck*ing nuts with an unstable client
just so the server can be hosted on MsWin!! @#$!!

WinCvs-1.2x works pretty well and was well accepted by my users, though I
generally do my management from Linux with console commands. That's
probably because I'm more used to the command set than to the GUI (any of
the GUIs, actually - I don't use 'Cervisia' or 'tkcvs' either, though one
or both may work fine).

 - John Mills