[ale] something's eating cycles

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 1 16:15:47 EDT 2002

I tried running this same monitor app in KDE. All it does is tell you that an
application at sometime went above a certain percentage of CPU consumption.
It doesn't tell you if CPU consumption went back down! And it isn't very
accurate in my experience either. So, first of all, don't rely on that app to
tell you ANYTHING useful. If you want an app that does give you some useful
monitoring, try gkrellm. You can get it at:

http://www.gkrellm.net

So, if things look okay in top, you are generally alright. Gkrellm will
monitor CPU and mamory usage and also show your download rates for the
Internet. It's a mature app that's been hammered and tested. And you can make
it look as pretty as you want.