[ale] SCSI Emulation (CD-R)

Michael Kachline kachline at bass.compgen.com
Mon Jul 1 10:32:41 EDT 2002

	David,

	I've run into this problem on my RH 7.2 box also. The symptoms
which I had was that I compiled in the proper drivers, yet, saw the line
"hdc: HP....CD / DVD" from `dmesg`, and, of course, "cdrecord -scanbus"
did not see a SCSI device.

The fix which I needed (other than the obvious, make sure ide-scsi and sg
are compiled) was ultimately to add the boot entry "hdc=scsi" to my
grub.conf.

	If you are using lilo, try using "linux hdc=scsi" from the LILO
prompt. If you are using Grub, try "editing" the entry which you want to
boot, and then "edit" the "Kernel" parameters line. Add " hdc=scsi", then
hit 'b' for boot. If all works well, add permanently to your
/boot/grub/grub.conf.

							- Mike
 Michael Kachline
 Systems Programmer