[ale] something's eating cycles

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 1 10:04:38 EDT 2002

You didn't mention which edsktop environment you're using. KDE, for example,
can sometimes start a rogue kdeinit process and it will consume all
resources. But Mozilla is the most frequent culprit on my desktop. What
usually sends it crashing is an ad with Java content that fails to load
fully. Some people on the mozilla newsgroups have suggested pointing to
different plugins within the JRE. For example, I have both:

/usr/java/j2re1.4.0_01/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so

 and :

/usr/java/j2re1.4.0_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Some people have suggested that the link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins should be
to the ns600 version and not the ns610 version. Some people with Mozilla and
Java may want to try that tweak.