[ale] something's eating cycles

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Mon Jul 1 09:38:50 EDT 2002

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> Something is eating processor cycles and the widget I am using
> isn't helping me. First it tells me that Mozilla is responsible (but
> it isn't) and then it tells me that solitaire is the culprit -- it aint
> either.

Please expand on how you determined that Mozilla was not the
culprit. In my experience, when a system has a problem with disappearing
resources and Mozilla is installed, it is usually the
culprit...particularly if you have the java-vm installed. Just yesterday,
I hit a web site with an ill behaved java applet. After closing mozilla,
the system was maxed out on both processor and memory. It took 2 root
powered killall -KILL commands to get mozilla to give up its relentless
attack.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security